41 BX 68: A prehistoric quarry-workshop in northern Bexar County, Texas
McGraw, A. Joachim
MetadataShow full item record
During late February and early March of 1978, personnel from the Center for Archaeological Research, The University of Texas at San Antonio, conducted intensive mapping and limited subsurface testing of the prehistoric quarry-workshop site of 41 BX 68. Investigations of the site, located near the intersection of FM 1604 and Elm Creek in northern Bexar County (see Fig. 1), were conducted under the terms of a contract (Purchase Order No. 40-7442-8-426) with the Soil Conservation Service. Located near proposed Floodwater Retarding Structure 11, portions of the extensive site will soon be altered or critically damaged by modification. Preliminary observations of the site indicated large areas were relatively undisturbed since the original aboriginal activity had taken place (Brown et al. 1977). Intact, relatively undisturbed concentrations of lithic debris were noted (see Fig. 2). The frequency, distribution and association of these materials were considered to be of unusual value in identifying intra-site activity areas. The intent of the current investigation was to formulate a preliminary description of the site and identify various aspects of lithic technological processes and their intra-site relationships in a prehistoric south central Texas quarry-workshop area.