Archaeological testing of proposed sewer line location at Mission San José
Fox, Anne A.
MetadataShow full item record
In April 1984 archaeologists from the Center for Archaeological Research, The University of Texas at San Antonio, excavated a backhoe trench outside the west wall of Mission San José. The purpose of the investigation was to determine if a proposed sewer line for the San Antonio 201 Wastewater Facilities Improvements Project would affect any major historic or prehistoric resources. A stone-lined well was found that was constructed sometime after the secularization of the mission in 1893 and continued in use, first as a well and later as a privy pit, until ca. 1940. Because of the likelihood of stratified deposits of 19th-century artifacts within the well fill, the site is recommended for archaeological excavation.