Monitoring the Planting and Removal of Plants at the Commander’s House (41BX351) San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas
Meissner, Barbara A.
MetadataShow full item record
In April 2010, the Center for Archaeological Research (CAR) contracted with the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department (SAPRD) to monitor tree planting and removal at the Commander’s House Park in downtown San Antonio. The monitoring took place on April 13, 2010, under Texas Historical Commission Antiquities Permit No. 5595. SAPRD crews removed 2 cycads and one palm planted along the front of the Commander’s House, replanted the palm in an adjacent flower bed, and also planted three new palms and three new trees on the grounds of the park. The Commander’s House, site 41BX351, was originally built before 1857 and is associated with the San Antonio Arsenal. The site is part of the U.S. San Antonio Arsenal National Register District (69000200). The structure is currently being used as a Seniors’ Center. In addition, the San Pedro Acequia (41BX337), a State Archeological Landmark, runs past the house within the grounds. Only one of the holes, Hole #5, in front of the house, encountered cultural materials consisting of a roughly trimmed limestone block set on top of another limestone block. Investigation of this feature was outside the scope of the project, so the nature of the features remains undetermined. No other cultural materials and/or features were encountered during this monitoring project.