Archaeological Survey for 821 Probandt Subdivision Plat, San Antonio, Texas
MetadataShow full item record
On July 21, 2021, the Center for Archaeological Research (CAR) at the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) completed an archaeological survey with backhoe trenching within a 0.37 ha (0.91-acre) private lot located in south-central San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. The work was conducted in response to a request from 602 Roosevelt, LLC, in advance of development of the property. The City of San Antonio Office of Historic Preservation (COSA-OHP) requested an archaeological survey prior to development during the re-platting process due to concerns about the possible presence of the San Pedro Acequia (41BX337), a portion of the city’s Spanish colonial irrigation system, on the property. The project falls under the Historic Preservation and Design Section of the COSA Unified Development Code, with COSA-OHP having review authority. Sarah Wigley served as the Project Archaeologist and Dr. Raymond Mauldin served as the Principal Investigator. Backhoe trenching was conducted in areas of the property identified by archival resources as potential locations of the acequia. In total three backhoe trenches (BHTs) were excavated. Feature 1, a shallow, unlined ditch feature lacking cultural material, was recorded in the southwestern portion of the property, in alignment with the trajectory of the acequia depicted on an 1889 map. The feature was recorded as a section of site 41BX337, and avoidance of impact to the feature is recommended. No artifacts were collected during the course of the project. Records generated during the course of the project are permanently curated at the CAR as accession number 2441.