Monitoring of the South Flores Parking Garage Expansion, San Antonio, Bexar Country, Texas
Between May 17th and 24th 2010, the Center for Archaeological Research (CAR) of the University of Texas San Antonio, contracted with Bexar County Infrastructure Services Department to monitor the removal of asphalt from the parking lot at the future site of the expanded South Flores Parking Garage. The project area is located in downtown San Antonio, Texas, just southwest of the intersection of Nueva Street and South Flores. Given its proximity to the historic City center, the project area had potential for producing significant cultural resources. This project entailed the monitoring of mechanical excavations. During the course of the project, multiple foundations and a drainage system were identified and recorded before their removal. No Spanish Colonial or prehistoric deposits were encountered during this project. No remnants of the pre-1849 structure were noted in the northeastern portion of the tract. It is likely that the structure was destroyed when the basement of the dry goods warehouse was constructed in this location. As a result, the CAR recommends no additional field investigations in the APE.