An archaeological assessment of the drainage improvement area on the northeast side of Alamo Hall, and home of former Mayor Wilhelm Thielepape (41BX507), San Antonio, Texas
In December 1979, before installing a drainage system on the southwest corner of the grounds of the Alamo behind Alamo Hall, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas contracted with the the Center for Archaeological Research to conduct investigations to determine the possibility of significant subsurface cultural material being impacted by the proposed construction. Four hand-excavated units revealed the walls of an adobe structure believed to be the home of former mayor Wilhelm Carl August Thielepape. Structural remains of a detached kitchen structure were also discovered. Archival research indicates the house was built by 1854 and demolished ca. 1936.